hooray for friday! we have made it through the first week of February, gang! the temperatures in Athens have warmed a bit and we are settling in for a long week of rain, but today is sunny and we are keeping the spring vibes going on inside with pink tulips and bright pops of springtime color for our tablescape. this week on fridays with oscar we are trying a new product i found at Trader Joe’s: cauliflower pizza crust. i am working on cutting back the wheat in my diet, so i am excited to try this crust. for the pizza topping, we are whipping up shrimp scampi. and as always, we have a great cocktail to try: the Chelsea. oscar is ready for the camera this week as we get cooking! it’s all about healthy eats: cauliflower pizza. so, read on for the recipes….
outfit of the day
casual comfort is the name of the game on fridays with oscar, and today i mixed it up with a striped sweater and grey denim. i really like dyed denim, all the comfort and style of jeans – with a twist. this sweater would pair just fine with blue jeans, but the softer grey hue of the denim really lets my sweater shine as the star of the outfit.
i couldn’t let the single red stripe on my sweater stand alone today, so i have my patent red loafer mules back in action. multi-color stripes are so fun to play with because the outfit combinations are endless – i have half a dozen other combinations in mind for this sweater!
healthy eats: cauliflower pizza
this isn’t a 1:1 for fluffy, doughy pizza crust. cauliflower crust does get crispy, and the texture is dough-like in its chewiness. the flavor is not overwhelmingly cauliflower-like, so your pizza toppings will not be overpowered. i baked the dough at 450 degrees, for 10 minutes on each side, as the package directs, then i topped with my shrimp scampi and popped it under the broiler just until the cheese was bubbly and lightly browned. i made my scampi while the pizza crust cooked.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large cloves fresh garlic
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 lb shrimp
- In a large skillet melt butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and lemon zest, cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and lemon juice and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Cook shrimp only until pink. Stir in Italian seasoning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower crust is crispy and slightly browned around the edges on both sides, remove from the oven and brush the pan drippings on the dough. This will be the garlicky, buttery base for the scampi.
- Top with mozzarella and scampi and broil until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from broiler, top with chopped parsley, crushed red pepper and more parmesan.
the Chelsea cocktail
- 1.7oz Crop Cucumber Vodka
- 1.0z St Germain liqueur
- 5-6 Muddled green grapes
- .07oz Fresh squeeze lemon
- Shake with ice and strain into tall glass with ice stir in club soda and garnish with cucumber and grapes.
fridays with oscar
well ladies, i hope you give this pizza recipe a try, if you do, let me know how you like it! i am happy that one of my go-to grocery stores carries products that make my diet choices that much easier. i look forward to trying more gluten-alternative products at Trader Joe’s.
remember, we are talking about travel for the month of february and we have a lot of fun to share in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to the blog for tips, tricks, and plenty of outfit inspiration! oscar, ollie and i wish all of you a lovely weekend!