since i don’t have a dramatic ‘going gray’ story to share i gathered a few tips and tricks from stylists as to how to transition from colored hair to gray. these steps won’t guarantee an overnight transformation, but it will help with your decision with going gray or not (it’s not for everybody) and what it entails.
- discuss your options with your hairstylist. this is a big decision and having the input of professionals is an important first step.
- grow your roots an inch or two then opt for a pixie cut to remove the dye from your hair.
- not ready for a drastic change? try a color correction then add highlights for a ‘salt and pepper’ look. this will take continual upkeep as it can take six months to a year to go from color to gray.
- have long hair? keep your hair in a ponytail or bun and use a color stick on your roots.
- adding highlights? they can tend to turn brassy so ask your stylist/colorist if a toner will help keep the brass at bay.
- a purple shampoo used twice a week will keep your silver locks in tip-top condition.
hair products i recommend.
combating the effects of aging hair.
yes, our hair like our skin is aging with us. first and foremost healthy hair starts with a healthy diet. lot’s of lean protein is important, avoiding too much fat, eating the right carbs, and drinking lots of water is key.
- get a regular trim every six to eight weeks to keep your hair healthy and growing.
- washing your hair removes natural oils so skip a few days. since i workout regularly i alternate shampoo and conditioner with conditioner only.
- wet hair is fragile. instead of wrapping your hair in a towel after your shower just blot with a towel.
- chemical treatments like bleaching, straightening and dying cause the hair to become stiff and dry, causing it to break. make certain to use the best products for color treated hair.
last but not least, a terrific haircut is important whether you color your hair or not. but if you decide to embrace your silver locks make darn certain you have an up-to-date ‘do.’ and short hair is more versatile than you think. here’s a video where i style my pixie two ways.
happy sunday, ladies!