it’s friday gang! are you ready for fridays with oscar? we sure are. this week we are making a delicious recipe adapted from Bon Appetit’s February Healthyish issue—chickpea and chorizo tostadas, except i have modified their version to be tacos instead of tostadas. and what goes better with tacos than a classic margarita? i have jazzed up Bon Appetit’s classic margarita with a Tajin spice-rimmed glass. healthy eats and tasty treats. it’s the way to go.
it’s been a fun few weeks on the blog this January, i have really enjoyed sharing my home tours with you and this week was no exception. for me, January is synonymous with new beginnings and fresh starts. for 2020, that has translated to refreshing my closet, putting the last touches on my home design and starting a new cycle of FASTer Way to Fat Loss.
outfit of the day – casual friday
as usual, i am all about casual Friday, here on fridays with oscar. today’s outfit is brightened up with a pullover hoodie. i have popped it over a printed button down for a little added polish. my J. Crew herringbone-print jeans are making a return appearance today. and to tie in the bright pop of orange, i have on my driving mocs with orange detail.
one pan dinner: chickpea and chorizo tacos
this recipe is easily customizable to your taste. it’s so simple and really takes no time at all. make the yogurt sauce a day ahead if you like. i used the full can of chickpeas instead of the half cup the recipe calls for.
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- 2 links fresh chorizo (about 8 oz. total)
- 4 tostada shells
- Rinse and drain 15 oz. chickpeas in a colander. Measure out ½ cup; reserve remaining chickpeas for another use.
- Finely grate zest of 1 lime with a microplane or grater into a small bowl.
- Cut lime in half and squeeze juice from one half into bowl with zest. Cut remaining half into 2 wedges; set aside for serving.
- Gather 8 cilantro sprigs on cutting board. Starting at the stem end, finely chop stems until you get to the leaves; reserve leaves for serving. Add stems to bowl with lime.
- Add ¼ cup yogurt and ½ tsp. salt to bowl and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Remove casing from 2 chorizo links; discard. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low. Cook chorizo, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until partially cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add reserved chickpeas and remaining ½ tsp. salt and mash together with back of spoon until chorizo is cooked through and crispy, 7–10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread reserved crema over 4 tostada shells.
- Top crema with chorizo mixture.
- Top with reserved cilantro leaves and serve with reserved lime wedges alongside.
as it was cooking, i added a drizzle of olive oil to help crisp up the chickpeas. after making the yogurt sauce for this recipe, i will never throw away the cilantro stems again—they really do add a nice flavor and crunch to the sauce.
classic margarita – minus the triple sec!
i don’t miss the syrupy sweetness of triple sec one bit. but, if you feel like you’re missing the citrus flavor from the triple sec, add a little fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Kosher salt (for serving)
- ½ thick lime wheel (for serving)
- 2 oz. tequila blanco
- ¾ oz. fresh lime juice
- ¾ oz. simple syrup
- Place some salt on a small plate. Rub rim of an old-fashioned or rocks glass with lime (reserve for serving); dip in salt. Fill with ice and set aside.
- Combine tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.
- Strain cocktail through a Hawthorne strainer or a slotted spoon into reserved glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
alright gang! we’ve had a great week on the blog. over the last few weeks we have toured my custom closet, my home office, and my living room. stay tuned to the blog next week as we continue our look at fashion basics. and get ready for february on the blog – we have a lot in store and it’s going to be an exciting month! until next time, oscar, ollie and i wish you all a wonderful weekend.