since we’ve been discussing all things new this past month, i thought i would introduce a segment that’s near and dear to my heart: aging with strength, beauty, and grace. but what does it mean to age gracefully? if you’ve hit the ripe old age of fifty, this thought most likely has crossed your mind. many of us might think we need to cling to our youth. wanting to look as young as we can for as long as we can. there are also those who adopt a status quo mindset that accepts weight gain and sagging skin as a natural part of aging. but are we to spend our golden years easing into a long and relaxing retirement with a mindset to match? or is there something more?
there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the “prime” years of our life. life after fifty, sixty and beyond. but i do believe that aging gracefully has everything to do with our inner attitude and gratitude toward life. to me, it means staying curious and living a fit and vital life. so i’d like to start addressing the fundamentals of feeling fit and vital at every age and share some thoughts on exercise, nutrition, building self-confidence, beauty tips – anything and everything that will help us lead our best lives, which are essential to aging gracefully.
aging with strength beauty and grace
a good place to start is to consider how fit, young, and vital you are today. but what, exactly, does vitality mean? according to the dictionary, vitality is a noun and means the state of being strong and active; energy. it seems to me that a vital life is a life well lived on the inside as well as the outside. because a vital woman exudes outer confidence while maintaining an inner beauty. in the weeks and months to come, i’d like to visit what it means to lead a fit, young and vital life. what it truly means to age with strength, beauty, and grace.
skincare tips and tricks
every year like clockwork i schedule a dermatologist appointment. with fair skin, blue eyes, and growing up in a generation that gave no thought to sunscreen i definitely have a great deal of damage to my skin. i’ve even had a bout with skin cancer, so we keep a close eye on every square inch of my skin. on my latest visit at the beginning of the year, we removed three pre-cancerous growths with a simple freeze-dry technique. when i checked out, i also picked up a Retinol A Serum that i apply three times a week at night.
over the years i’ve incorporated a simple beauty regimen to keep my skin looking healthy, vibrant, and feeling great. as a young teen, my mother insisted i wash my face before bedtime and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. back then, i used Noxzema. anyone else familiar with this cleanser? it’s still in existence to this day. back then, it came in a blue jar and left my skin with a tingle. if i wasn’t raiding my mother’s beauty counter for the good stuff, she kept Elizabeth Arden and Estee Lauder on hand, i regularly moisturized with Nivea. while i’ve tried lots of different beauty products the past forty-five years, my easy beauty routine has stayed in place. i religiously cleanse my face morning and night and moisturize twice a day. mom, you would be proud of me.
today, i’ve rounded up ten tips and tricks that keep my skin in tip-top condition. what’s my number one rule? remove any trace of makeup before bedtime. it’s simple, i know, but going to bed without makeup gives your skin a chance to breathe. lately, i’ve been using elemis cleansing oil. let’s take a look at nine more tips that help me stay at the top of my game.
2. every month i visit my local spa for a facial. this is one pleasure i don’t feel guilty about. it’s an hour out of my busy schedule when i can unwind and relax. and my skin loves the attention it receives. i usually add a glycolic peel and go sans makeup for the entire day. try philosophy for an at-home two-step microdelivery resurfacing peel. in-between visits i love malin+goetz glycolic acid pads or revive glycolic renewal peel.
3. i wear sunblock with an spf 30 or higher. i used to rely solely on tinted moisturizer, which included a SPF. not anymore.
4. i stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. this should be a no-brainer, but when i don’t follow this simple rule, i notice my skin looks dull and tired. to remind me of how much water i drink each day i carry a 20-ounce Yeti tumbler. if you like your water cold, then you will love this tumbler.
5. i exfoliate once a week. sometimes twice a week. an exfoliator sloughs off dead skin cells and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
6. many of you know i started a fitness journey at the beginning of 2018 that focuses on nutrition combined with daily workouts. i always had exercise down pat, but i foolishly believed a calorie was a calorie, whether it came from processed food or nutrient-dense food. but there’s a big difference between 300 calories consumed with broccoli or 300 calories consumed in potato chips. i don’t even think i could eat 300 calories in broccoli as it fills you up quickly. but i know for certain i could easily down 300 calories worth of chips and still be hungry. i don’t know why it took sixty years for my brain to wrap its head around the fact that what we eat day in and day out counts.
foods rich in essential fatty and Omega 3 acids are so important to include in your diet. this is one type of fat you don’t want to cut back on. so i try to add foods high in Omega 3 acids into my diet. my favorites are salmon, avocados, almonds, and anchovies.
7. vitamin c helps prevent free radical damage associated with skin aging. adding this one product to my nighttime routine has been a game-changer. my skin is definitely brighter.
8. if i need to destress i unplug my electronics, apply a mask and take a catnap. it works every time.
9. i wash my makeup brushes daily with this cleansing sponge. these cleansing wipes are great for travel. recently, i purchased a makeup brush travel set that i keep packed in my toiletries bag. once a week i wash my brushes with baby shampoo.
10. after i apply my lipstick i add a lip balm to keep my lips hydrated. nothing is worse than dry lips unless it’s dry hands. so i keep a tube of malin+goetz mojito lip balm on hand for prevention.
today we talked about aging with strength, beauty and grace. let know what health and wellness topics you would like to learn more about so that we can live our best life today and every day.