it’s friday, gang! what’s on the menu this week? we’re dishing up a taco salad and margaritas. one of my kiddos is in town, so i’m cooking for three. the choices for dinner were a toss-up between shrimp pasta salad or a taco salad. as you can see taco salad won the vote which is fine by me. who doesn’t love a delish taco salad and margaritas? ‘cuz whenever i serve anything remotely connected to mexican or tex-mex fare a margarita is bound to be involved.
since fridays are always a laid back day for me, my style game matches my mood. today, i’m sporting a Lacoste tee last seen here, jean shorts that i discovered are waaaay too big for me (a non-scale victory with FASTer Way to Fat Loss), and a pair of brand new black sneakers with a little bling. the sneakers are similar to a pewter pair i’ve worn and loved for several years. both are from I.N.C. a brand exclusive to Macy’s.
some of you have commented that i’m looking thin as of late. this year i’ve tightened up my day-to-day diet by eliminating most grains, sugar, and carbs. when mr. style was diagnosed with cancer i’d already started my fitness journey. but i continue to be convinced that we can avoid so many diseases if we adopt a nutrient-rich diet. a healthy liver is of utmost importance so most days you’ll see my plate filled with delicious veggies, berries, fat from avocados or salmon, and nuts. sunflower seeds are a great addition to a healthy salad.
believe you me i know i’ve been under a considerable amount of stress these past few weeks and months. so i’ve been paying special attention to my sleep and eating habits which play a big role with our mental health. it’s truly one day at a time for me by placing one foot in front of the other. some days are better than other days (and some minutes are better than others), but i’m thankful for a job i love and friends and family who support me. and of course, i get to meet up with you every day. thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers.
both oscar and ollie make an appearance on the blog today. and my trusty photographer/videographer junior style is behind the camera snapping photos along the way as i sling together an easy peasy taco salad and margaritas that will serve a crowd. how do i squeeze all those fresh limes and lemons? with one of my all-time favorite kitchen gadgets a lemon/lime squeezer.
- 2 cups tequila
- 1 cup triple sec
- 1 cup lime juice (with fresh limes)
- 1 cup lemon juice (don't forget to squeeze it yourself)
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar (It’s also known as caster sugar.)
- 16 lime wedges
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 5 1/3 cups crushed or cubed ice
- In a large pitcher combine the first five ingredients until the sugar is dissolved (omit the sugar if desired or add to taste). In the meantime, put all of the salt in a shallow bowl or rimmed plate.
- When serving, wet the rim of the margarita or cocktail glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rim of each glass in the salt. Put ice in glasses and pour the drink mix over. Be sure to stir the mixture gently before serving.
this batch of margaritas serves sixteen. a glass pitcher rimmed in blue was used for serving. if you choose super-sized margarita glasses like these this recipe will serve eight. or thereabout. ‘cuz these glasses are HUGE. don’t say i didn’t warn you.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 packet (or 3 Tablespoons) taco seasoning
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 ½ cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- Jalapeno slices optional, use more or less depending on how hot you like your taco salad to be. I used half of a sliced jalapeno for this recipe.
- broken corn chips (optional)
- Taco Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 1 1 /2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef.
- Cook until browned and drain.
- Add water and taco seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow ground beef to cool for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of your taco salad.
- Combine chopped romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, diced red onion, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and jalapenos (if using) in a large bowl.
- Add (cooled) ground beef and toss ingredients together until well-combined.
- Prepare your Taco Salad Dressing.
- Combine sour cream, salsa, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning in a bowl and whisk until well-combined.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss until well-combined.
- Serve. If not serving immediately, cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- These are my staples for taco salad. If you like corn or black beans add those too. Either or both are great additions. And olives can make an appearance as well. But I love olives!
- Taco salad dressing
- Use a 1:1 ratio of salsa and sour cream. I chose Trader Joe's salsa. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of taco seasoning and combine.
all of the ingredients are placed in individual serving bowls so we can concoct a taco salad to our liking.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients.
what do you think oscar’s thinking about now?
an easy healthy recipe to whip up on a moment’s notice. it’s the perfect summer dish. that’s why we love taco salad and margaritas at our house.
oscar and ollie in action this week.
all right, gang, it appears another week is in the books. TGIF! oscar, ollie and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.