- discuss your options with your hairstylist. this is a big decision and having the input of professionals is an important first step.
- grow your roots an inch or two then opt for a pixie cut to remove the dye from your hair.
- not ready for a drastic change? try a color correction then add highlights for a ‘salt and pepper’ look. this will take continual upkeep as it can take six months to a year to go from color to gray.
- have long hair? keep your hair in a ponytail or bun and use a color stick on your roots.
- adding highlights? they can tend to turn brassy so ask your stylist/colorist if a toner will help keep the brass at bay.
- a purple shampoo used twice a week will keep your silver locks in tip-top condition.
and twice a week i use Kerastase Blond Absolu Strengthening Conditioner that restores and adds hydration.
combating the effects of aging hair
yes, our hair like our skin is aging with us. first and foremost healthy hair starts with a healthy diet. lot’s of lean protein is important, avoiding too much fat, eating the right carbs, and drinking lots of water is key.
- get a regular trim every six to eight weeks to keep your hair healthy and growing.
- washing your hair removes natural oils so skip a few days. since i workout regularly i alternate using shampoo plus conditioner with days i use conditioner only.
- wet hair is fragile. instead of wrapping your hair in a towel after your shower just blot with a towel.
- chemical treatments like bleaching, straightening, and dying cause the hair to become stiff and dry, causing it to break. make certain to use the best products for color-treated hair.
- add a water filter to your shower head
last but not least, a terrific haircut is important whether you color your hair or not. if you decide to embrace your silver locks make darn certain you have an up-to-date ‘do.’ right?! oh how i miss my stylist. your hair color doesn’t add years to your face but an out of date hair cut does. easier said than done these days.
short hair is more versatile than you think. here’s a video where i styled my pixie two ways. these days i’m transitioning to a longer length. stay tuned to a post and video where i’ll share how to grow out your pixie. my hair still has a few inches to go so stay tuned.
add a pop of color
it’s important to remember that a vibrant shade of lipstick will perk up your face. especially when we embrace our silver locks. it can be reds, pinks, corals, whatever suits your fancy. but add a gorgeous lip color as it will dramatically change your look.