it’s Friday gang! can you believe we made it through another week? one step closer to Thanksgiving and then the end of a decade. hard to believe, and thankfully we’re not quite there yet. instead, we’ve got a wonderful edition of fridays with oscar. we’re bringing you our usual: an entree and cocktail. and in addition, we’ve got holiday gift ideas for pets and their opens in a new windowJ.Crew loving owners.
outfit of the day
i’ve gone and done it this Friday: a full-blown match-y match-y opens in a new windowJ.Crew outfit of the day. we hit season low temperatures in Athens this week, and to keep warm, I layered this matching opens in a new windowturtleneck sweater with a opens in a new windowfleece hoodie. and if you’re looking for a pair of joggers this season, check out these similar opens in a new windowTretorn sneakers.
J.Crew gift guide
when shopping at opens in a new windowJ.Crew this fall, i’ve been tracking some fun gift ideas. i’ve put them together in the slider below. make sure to check out the opens in a new windowleopard print puffer jacket and opens in a new windowpajama set. they’re my personal favorites, if i had to pick.
pet gift guide
because it’s fridays with oscar, i’ve also put together a little pet gift guide for all you pet owners. check out these opens in a new windowslippers from opens in a new windowL.L. Bean. super comfy, and super cute. i highly recommend a pair.
tablescape: fall harvest
entree: baked chicken, brussels sprouts, sweet potato hot pot
when looking for a recipe this week, i stumbled upon this one: baked chicken, brussels sprouts and sweet potato. probably one of the easiest recipes i’ve put on the blog in weeks, but boy is it d.e.l.i.s.h. we generally don’t prepare our mother’s brussels sprouts anymore; there are two many fun and interesting ways to cook them.
today, we’re just gonna i) throw them in a pot with some sweet potatoes and chicken; ii) season to taste with our all purpose salt, pepper, and garlic; and iii) cook. that’s pretty much it. enjoy!
- olive oil spray
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (8 oz each) , peeled and diced 3/4-inch
- 4 large chicken thighs, on the bone, with skin (7 ounces each)
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray an oval baking dish with oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes on one side and the Brussels sprouts on the other. Spritz the vegetables with olive oil and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste.
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and rosemary. Place chicken thighs on top of the vegetables, skin side down.
- Bake 30 minutes, set the chicken aside and stir the vegetables.
- Place the chicken back in the dish skin side up and cook until the chicken skin is browned and the vegetables are roasted and tender, about 30 to 35 minutes more. Optional, broil 2 to 3 minutes for crisper skin.
cocktail: the saucy mutt
in honor of Oscar our cocktail of the week is called the saucy mutt. it’s a vodka based drink with a kick. depending on your heat tolerance, you can either go with habanero or jalapeno infused vodka. some of us are wimps over here, so we went with jalapeno.
- Kosher salt
- Grapefruit juice
- Pepper infused vodka
- Rim your glass with an indecent amount of kosher salt and fill with ice.
- To a shaker, add 8 oz. grapefruit juice (I used fresh-squeezed straight off our tree, pulp strained. This recipe calls for tart grapefruit, but if you aren’t man enough, then use something sweet and pink like Ruby Red).
- Add 2 shots of habanero-infused vodka (we keep infused vodkas just sitting around, don’t you? If not, it’s all good–just use any jalepeno or habanero-flavored vodka, or fill a large mason jar with vodka, throw in a handful of sliced peppers, and let it sit over night)
- Add 1 shot of simple syrup, and shake it all up.
- Pour it over the ice in your glass, garnish with a slice of grapefruit, and if you want to get real fancy, a sprig of mint (this is orange mint from the garden).
- Drink. Rinse. Repeat.
alright, gang! that’s a wrap. stay tuned next week for a ton of holiday decoration suggestions. Kelly and I are giving you some really fun tablescape selections to inspire you well into the holiday season. in the mean time, make sure to leave Oscar and I a comment below.
in case you missed it
it was remembering the holidays over on the blog this week. all week someone in my family shared a holiday memory with you. on Monday, Kelly opens in a new windowremembered Thanksgiving. on Tuesday, my oldest opens in a new windowremembered Christmas. and on Wednesday and Thursday, I remembered opens in a new windowNew Year’s and N opens in a new windowew Year’s Day. if you missed any of these posts, you’re going to want to check them out. and make sure to leave a comment and share your holiday memories!