it’s Friday gang! and you know what that means: fridays with oscar! another week of winter has come and gone. despite the rainy days here in Athens, i have noticed the days are getting a little longer as we make our way to spring. so, to lift our collective spirits, i’m going to continue on my January trend and inject color into your winter wardrobe.
today’s cocktail contains color all on its own—turmeric! this spice is finding its way into a lot of recipes these days because of its amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. not to mention its beautiful sunshiny golden color adds a warm note to anything it goes into—and who doesn’t love a little of that in these winter months?
outfit of the day
today’s outfit is super comfy and super casual—perfect for running out to the supermarket on a rainy day. the navy blue joggers from J.Crew have a pink, white and orange side stripe ( the joggers have a matching track jacket), jazzing things up and making them a perfect match for this striped hoodie with a contrasting orange pocket. as i headed out, i grabbed this orange puffer vest (old similar here) to top it off and tie it all together.
entree: sheet pan cajun shrimp, sausage and veggies
this is an easy one-pan dinner full of veggies and protein. since we are still in winter, i swapped the zucchini and squash for brussels sprouts. and because i didn’t want the extra starch, i omitted the potatoes. (remember, make all these recipes your own!) the old bay seasoning adds a ton of flavor reminiscent of the low-country boil we made a while back. both recipes are a perfect way to warm up your winter evening.
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 14- ounce pork or chicken sausage sliced
- 2 medium-sized zucchini sliced
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash sliced
- ½ bunch asparagus sliced into thirds
- 2 red bell pepper chopped into chunks
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, add the shrimp, sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, bell pepper and salt and pepper. Add olive oil and cajun seasoning and toss until coated.
- Spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until shrimp is pink and vegetables are tender.
cocktail: cinnamon cranberry orange sunrise
this vodka-based cocktail requires a few extra steps but it’s totally worth it for the delicious warming effect of the turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger. it’s a great wintertime cocktail to enjoy by the fire.
- Juice of 2 oranges (hold peel for topping)
- ¼ container coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 container crisp or solidified cranberries
- 5 ounces vodka
- Shining water
- Sprig of rosemary, for trimming
- In a medium pot, consolidate squeezed orange, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and cranberries.
- Cook over low warmth for 10 minutes. Put aside and let it cool. Mix the cranberry blend in a blender, at that point strain.
- Fill a mixed drink shaker with ice. Include the cranberry puree and the vodka and shake well; strain into 4 to 5 glasses.
- Top with shimmering water, and topping with rosemary sprig and orange wedge.
- Enjoy this turmeric cocktail to soothe your senses and for a rosy glow!
fridays with oscar
all right, gang! we’ve had a great week on the blog. over the last two weeks, we have toured my custom closet, my home office, and my living room. stay tuned to the blog next week to find out what room is next. oscar, ollie and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.
the striped sweatshirt is boxy and can overwhelm the joggers. for a sleeker look add a pair of straight-leg jeans and plaid shirt (old, similar here) for a polished casual look. the white sneakers look great with both outfits. don’t you think?
and since we styled the sweatshirt an alternative way let’s do the same with the joggers. Athleta is a go-to brand when it comes to athleisure. so when i spotted a cozy karma sweatshirt with pockets and side zips i knew it was coming home with me. it’s a slimmer fit than the striped sweatshirt and looks fantastic with the striped joggers.