aging naturally and gracefully? is it possible? what does that even mean, aging naturally and gracefully? or, as i like to say, aging with grace, strength, and beauty. for starters, i don’t want to look ten or twenty years younger. there’s been a lot of hype in years gone by that women, in particular, were put out to pasture or had to perpetually look like they were 40 when they reached a certain age. the choices were one or the other. many women opt to get botox, facelifts, and other invasive treatments to fight mother nature as long as they can. according to the Society for Plastic Surgeons, cosmetic surgery was up to 5% last year. ladies, it’s time to take control of the conversation on aging. younger doesn’t equal better. younger is younger. period. aging is a natural process. sure, i notice a difference in the reflection that stares back at me from the mirror. but you know what? that’s what 63 looks like – a softening of the jawline with wrinkles scattered across my face. i’m not looking to erase time from my face. what i want is skin that’s healthy and vibrant. that’s what matters. it’s important to do what we can to age as healthily as possible. by keeping our skin hydrated, maintaining collagen levels and elasticity, and naturally addressing wrinkles and signs of aging. taking care of your skin naturally means that you can combat wrinkles naturally and healthily as well.
it’s fair to say i’m a skincare junkie and love to try the latest and greatest products. even as a teen, my mother insisted i wash my face before bedtime and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. in those days, i used Noxzema. anyone else familiar with this cleanser? it’s still in existence to this day. back then, it came in a blue jar and left my skin with a tingle. if i wasn’t raiding my mother’s medicine cabinet for the good stuff, she kept Elizabeth Arden and Estée Lauder on hand, i regularly moisturized with Nivea or whatever Seventeen magazine recommended. while i’ve tried lots of different beauty products for the past forty-five years, my beauty routine has stayed in place. i religiously cleanse my face morning and night and moisturize twice a day. Mom, you would be proud of me. over the years, i’ve incorporated a simple beauty regimen to keep my skin looking healthy, vibrant, and feeling great. here’s a post where i share many of my favorite skincare, hair, and makeup products.
what tips and tricks keep my skin in tip-top condition? what’s my number one beauty tip? remove any trace of makeup before bedtime. it’s simple, i know, but going to bed without makeup and a squeaky clean face gives your skin a chance to breathe, replenish and renew. Elemis Cleansing Oil helps remove dirt and grime. let’s take a look at nine more tips that help me stay at the top of my game.
2. every month, i visit my local spa for a facial. this is one pleasure i don’t feel guilty about. it’s an hour out of my busy schedule when i can unwind and relax. and my skin loves the attention it receives. i usually add a glycolic peel and go sans makeup for the entire day. try Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Exfoliant for an at-home leave-on exfoliant that leaves your face glowing. in between salon visits, i love Elemis Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Pads Malin+Goetz Glycolic Acid Pads or Revive Glycolic Renewal Peel.
recently, i partnered with Prai Beauty on Instagram. i’ve used their skincare products that focus on our necks and decolletage since February and have been pleased. they’re offering my readers 25% off your purchase with code BETH25.
3. i wear Sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher.
4. i stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. this is a no-brainer, but when i don’t follow this simple rule, i notice my skin looks dull and tired. to remind me of how much water i drink, i carry a 20-ounce tumbler. last year, a reader asked about a yeti cooler. since then i’ve become obsessed with all things yeti. mr. style loved my tumbler so much we just had to buy one for him. he was impressed that ice cubes placed in the tumbler hadn’t melted by morning.
5. i exfoliate once a week. sometimes twice a week. an exfoliator sloughs off dead skin cells and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
6. aging with strength focuses on nutrition and workouts to keep our bodies and minds in tip-top condition. foods rich in essential fatty and Omega 3 acids are important to include in your diet. this is one type of fat you don’t want to cut back on. i try to add foods high in Omega 3 acids into my diet. my favorites are salmon, avocados, almonds, and anchovies. lately, i’ve added chia seeds and flax seeds into the mix.
7. Vitamin c helps prevent free radical damage associated with skin aging. adding this one product to my nighttime routine was a game-changer. my skin is definitely brighter. Vitamin C helps with collagen production, improves skin elasticity, and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles.
8. if i need to destress, i unplug my electronics, apply a mask and take a catnap. it works every time.
9. i wash my makeup brushes daily with this cleansing sponge. these cleansing wipes are great for travel. a separate makeup brush travel set stays packed in my toiletries bag. once a week, i wash my brushes with baby shampoo.
10. after i apply my lipstick, i add a lip balm to keep my lips hydrated. nothing is worse than dry lips unless it’s dry hands. so i keep a tube of Malin+Goetz Mojito Lip Balm on hand for my lips and Neutrogena Wrinkle Repair Cream for my hands.
there are always questions about my hair and how i keep my silver locks in tip-top shape. here’s a YouTube video where i style my hair.
let’s get the conversation started. what are your thoughts on aging naturally and gracefully?