it’s friday. cheers to the weekend, gang! of course, we’re dishing up a healthy recipe taco stuffed zucchini boats. and there’s a refreshing cocktail by the name of fly me to the moon on the menu. but the main attraction every friday is our favorite german shepherd oscar. at the moment he’s obsessed with his soccer ball. or should i say a semblance of his soccer ball? not to worry as oscar could give two hoots if it’s inflated or looks pretty. somehow he manages endless hours of fun with this ratty toy whether mr. style and i are involved or not.
yours truly is squeezing every day out of blue jean weather. once those hot summer temps set in i exchange my beloved blue jeans for denim skirts, shorts or dresses. it’s a fair trade so no complaints on my part. this year i’m still on the hunt for easy, breezy summer dresses. but i’ve added lightweight shirts to the list. i have drawers full of tees, but nothing compares to a crisp cotton shirt. this cute little number from J.Crew fits the bill. it comes with a self-tie belt and cuffed sleeves. it’s popped over a pair of high rise white denim from Ann Taylor last seen here and here. whenever i wear a long tunic or belted shirt with denim, i prefer high-waisted pants. then there’s never a worry about the dreaded muffin top. last but not least is a pair of seersucker sandals from Talbots. i’d guess you’d say i’m mixing and matching brands today.
oscar wears a barking collar when he’s outside. when he barks the collar vibrates which is a gentle reminder not to keep barking at the deer.
fly me to the moon introduced me to two new liqueurs – maraschino liqueur and creme de violette, which adds a pink color to the drink. coupe glasses remain my favorite cocktail glass. they’re sleek and sexy and downright cool. even though coupes were originally created for champagne, many enthusiasts insist the bubbles don’t last as long with the wide brim. enter the champagne flute which gained popularity during the mid-fifties and claim to prolong the life of those trademark bubbles.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 ounce crème de violette (optional)
- Maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Add the gin, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, and crème de violette to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until thoroughly chilled, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
i count to thirty when i shake my cocktail. this gives the ingredients time to mix. and it’s cold when poured.
garnished with a maraschino cherry.
each week i look for simple, easy and healthy recipes. since joining FASTer Way to Fat Loss my dinner choices have changed drastically. and for the better. but my love of tacos remains strong. good news. there’s always a way to adapt your favorite recipe. a zucchini boat takes the place of a taco shell or tortilla. and ground turkey replaces ground beef. as far as cheese goes i typically omit cheese from my day-to-day diet. but FASTer Way to Fat Loss is all about progress not perfection. so every once in a while i’ll indulge.
there are quite a few of you who have joined FASTer Way to Fat Loss through my blog links. let me know if you would like to see more recipes tailor-made for this program. i’m happy to share my resources and what i’ve learned the past year and a half. one thing is for certain, to live a healthy, active life; our diet is the most critical factor. it took me sixty years to get this through my head but that old saying ” you are what you eat” is true. if you are interested in learning more about FASTer Way to Fat Loss and how it’s helping women (and men) of all ages learn about health, nutrition, and fitness the next round starts June 3rd.
- 4 medium (32 ounces) zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
- Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.
add a simple green salad, and this meal is complete.
are we ready to get this party started? or at least friday? oscar and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.
here are a few more delicious recipes and cocktails.