accessories the key to a successful outfit

beth from Style at a Certain Age wears a monochromatic white outfit. white tunic trimmed in blue, white jeans and gingham espadrilles

sometimes, less is more. and sometimes more is more. today, it’s all about simplicity. it’s all about a monochromatic ootd that gets a one-two punch from accessories. because accessories are the key to a successful outfit. shoes, scarves, handbags, jewelry are all essential additions to your wardrobe. think of accessories as the icing on the cake. and don’t be afraid to spend major cashola. most accessories will last a lifetime. and some can be passed down generation after generation. does anyone own their mother’s Louis Vuitton handbag? it was a timeless treasure in their generation, our generation, and our children’s. the same can be said with a Hermes silk scarf or jewelry.

today’s outfit is simple through and through. and i’m trotting out a new pair of jeans. this pair fits like a glove, has a high rise with button closure. the fabric is performance stretch denim that moves with you through the day. many of us shy away from white denim due to lumps and bumps showing. that isn’t the case with these jeans. although it hugs your curves. and i do mean hug. i’m wearing a size 8, and it fits true to size.

denim | top | similar shoes here and here | earrings | similar bracelet | handbag

beth from Style at a Certain Age wears gold coin chandelier earrings, gold charm bracelet

this tipped split tunic can be dressed up or down. today it’s popped over denim for a casual chic look. the trim is navy although it’s one of those blues that can pass for black. originally, i chose to wear a pair of black pants. until the pants were on and i noticed this tipped tunic is navy and white. not black and white. gold coin chandelier earrings add a boho-chic flair. a gold charm bracelet (similar here) keeps it classic.

a wicker handbag and gingham wedges add casual elegance. the J.Crew wedges are several years old. i’ve rounded up similar pairs – both wedges and gingham.

don’t forget a bold lip. especially when it’s date night. lip shade exotica.

it’s hump day, ladies. we’re halfway through the week. time to put a smile on someone’s face today, including yours.

Amy
    April 17, 2019 at 10:09 am

Wow, I liked the handbag alot but $205??? I think perhaps for the whole outfit but certainly not a little basket… I can’t imagine anyone spending that!

Beth Djalali
      April 17, 2019 at 10:18 am

there are so many price points for handbags. the best thing about styling an outfit is that you can tailor it to your budget. perhaps you feel uncomfortable with the cost of this handbag. but there are others that are perfectly fine with the pricetag. xo

Marianne Schantz
    April 17, 2019 at 11:42 am

Hi Beth. You are my style idol—but it would be great if you could show more fashions in a lower price point i.e. Macy’s where you can get great sales. LOVE your wonderful fashion eye.

Carol
    April 17, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I imagine many of us buy across price points depending on how strongly a piece calls out and how it will be used. Personally, I like seeing the mix of options and then adapting it to my personal style. Beth gives me the inspiration and then I decide whether to purchase the identical piece or search out something similar (may be priced higher or lower) that gives it my personal twist. Isn’t that the most wonderful thing about fashion and evolving a signature style?

Beth, truly appreciate the nudge to look outside my comfort zone and mix in new pieces that freshen my 56 yo look.

Beth Djalali
      April 17, 2019 at 3:06 pm

thanks so much for stopping by! the best thing about style is that it has many price points. isn’t it great that we can always add our personal twist! i think that’s what i love best about putting an outfit together. xo

R Dawson
    April 17, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Very nice look! I love the simplicity that makes the accessories pop.

Beth Djalali
      April 17, 2019 at 10:12 pm

monochromatic outfits can really set off accessories. there’s no pattern to compete with. and you’re right – they pop. xo

Wendy
    April 17, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Hi Beth. I’ve been receiving your posts for over year now. I share a similar love for classic styles and updating them to reflect recent trends. I have noticed however that the outfits you have posted in recent months seem to be a bit more mature. I’m not sure if it’s the brands you are promoting that have resulted in this change. I’m 61 years old and don’t want to dress like I’m 20 but I do want to wear fashionable clothes with a degree of sophistication. They may cost a bit more money but you can tell and they are worth it.

Beth Djalali
      April 17, 2019 at 10:33 pm

it sounds as if you have the luxury of purchasing high-end clothes. and that’s exactly what you should do. fashion is fun, sophisticated, loud, elegant the list goes on changes and evolves. whatever suits your fancy is how you should dress. if your interpretation is fashionable and sophisticated then go for it whatever your age. because one thing i’ve learned is that style has no expiration date. it’s timeless. as for the daily outfits on the blog, we aim to represent a wide variety of brands at a variety of price points because that’s how i’ve always shopped and put outfits together. high end mixed with low. i’m bound to find something at target i love just as much as when i walk into akris punto. but you’ll always find me wearing mid-price brands: Talbots, Ann Taylor, J.Crew, Madewell, Everlane. these are brands that offer classic style year-after-year. and the reason i remain loyal.

Cindy
    April 18, 2019 at 9:38 am

I love your outfits. I especially like that everything is not black, beige, or gray. I love all the bright colors. It is great to see you sometimes wear an outfit with clothes or shoes that are 2 or 3 years old. I think that is because your wardrobe has a lot of classic items. That’s the best part about shopping at Talbots.