it’s fridays with oscar gang. this week we’re celebrating cinco de mayo. the first of many celebrations during the merry month of may. then there’s the kentucky derby, mother’s day, memorial day. and maybe there’s graduation or a wedding penciled into your schedule too. it’s a busy time of year to be certain. and the weather is just about perfect. so let’s savor every minute.
today, i’ve whipped up a healthy and delicious taco salad. and concocted a prosecco margarita to celebrate cinco de mayo. this date commemorates the mexican army’s victory over the french empire on may 5, 1862. in the united states, the date is associated with the celebration of the mexican-american culture. it has been observed annually in california since 1863.
- 3 oz. blanco tequila, or your preferred tequila
- 3 oz. Cointreau
- 4 oz. chilled simple syrup
- 8 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 750-mL bottle chilled Prosecco
- coarse salt, to rim glasses
- fresh lime wedges, for garnish
- In a small to medium-sized jar or bowl, add the tequila, Cointreau, simple syrup, and fresh lime juice. Prepare this mixture at least a couple hours prior to serving the margaritas, and place in refrigerator to chill.
- This recipe will make 4 medium-sized margaritas or 6 smaller ones. Gather 4 to 6 medium or small glasses and get started! If salting the rims of your glasses, run the cut edge of a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and dip the rim into a small plate of coarse salt. Repeat with remaining glasses.
- Add ice to prepared glasses and divide chilled tequila mixture amongst the glasses. Top with Prosecco. Give a little stir to combine, and then taste test. Adjust for individual tastes by adding more simple syrup for extra sweetness and lime for tartness, plus extra tequila for those who like a bit more tequila bite. Squeeze a lime wedge over the top and add another one to the rim of the glass. Enjoy!
- * Simple syrup is easy to make and takes about 5 minutes! In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature. Store chilled in the refrigerator for up to a month. Use to sweeten any of your favorite beverages.
prosecco margaritas make a big batch that’s perfect for entertaining a crowd.
- Meat and Seasoning
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder add another 1/2 tsp if desired
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup red onions chopped
- 8 cups lettuce of choice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced
- 2 Avocados pitted and sliced
- 4 tbsp sliced jalapenos
- 4 tsp Cilantro
- 1 Lime quartered
- Avocado Ranch
- 1 cup compliant mayo
- 1 avocado pitted
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp dried parsly
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, along with a tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and brown for about 7 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce along with taco seasoning to the beef. Allow to simmer on low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Clean and chop the onions, avocados, jalapenos, and grape tomatoes.
- Finally, add 2 cups of lettuce to each bowl and spoon the taco meat over each salad as desired.
- Divide the chopped veggies evenly among the 4 salads.
- Drizzle with the avocado ranch and top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
- Avocado Ranch
- Take 1 cup of mayo add the rest of the ingredients and mix in a blender or using an immersion blender until creamy.
what i love about this taco salad is that it’s healthy. fresh ingredients make the difference. last year lobster tacos were on the menu as well as a classic margarita for cinco de mayo. read that post here
oscar is so not into photos this week. he’s all about couch surfing.
happy friday, gang! happy cinco de mayo. oscar and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.