my favorite way to wear jeans

beth from Style at a Certain Age wears a textured ivory blazer, ivory scalloped shell, dark rinse skinny jeans, snakeskin sandals and wicker handbag

if you’ve been following the blog for any length of time, then you know how much i love my style uniform (blazer, button-down, blue jeans, ballet flats). it’s my favorite way to wear jeans. what’s better than pulling together an outfit in less than five minutes? because we all have those days when we’re crunched for time. or think we have nothing to wear (yes, even style bloggers have a brain freeze when they stare at their clothes). and that’s the beauty of a style uniform. it’s easy breezy and lets me step out the door with style and confidence.

when i worked on my classic style series for instagram (follow me here) this week, it dawned on me that the most fashionable style icons have a style uniform too! say what? yes, style icons understand that a style uniform keeps their wardrobe balanced, giving them the perfect mix between modern and classic fashion.

the beauty and ease of a style uniform relies on a blazer. it’s the perfect third layer year round. and a blazer transitions with ease from one season to the next. if there isn’t a blazer hanging in your closet pick a neutral for your first one. it will give you bang for your buck as neutrals go with everything. then branch out and add a pattern or two.

denim | similar shell | similar blazer | sandals | handbag | charm bracelet

as i mentioned earlier a style uniform includes a favorite pair of blue jeans. and blue jeans are an easy way to introduce a trend to your wardrobe if you’re so inclined.

accessories add personality to a style uniform. when the weather is nice wear snake print sandals instead of flats. and nothing says spring/summer quite like a wicker handbag. and don’t forget to add some bling. today i chose a charm bracelet that peeks from beneath my sleeve.

denim | similar shell | similar blazer | sandals | handbag | charm bracelet

these two photos were taken for the classic style series on instagram. notice there’s no handbag or bling. and the sandals were exchanged for block heel shoes (old, similar here). can you guess which style icon i’m copying? head to instagram to find out!

all right, gang, we’re gearing up for fridays with oscar today. yes, our favorite german shepherd will make his weekly appearance tomorrow. the weather’s been glorious the past week, so maybe it’s time to open the porch and dine al fresco. whether we’re inside or out don’t forget to tune into the blog to see what we’re dishing up!

Marianne Fagioli
    April 11, 2019 at 9:35 am

I didn’t see a link to the car! Next you should partner with Mustang!

Chris
    April 11, 2019 at 9:54 am

Hi Beth, I’ve been following your blog for a bit now, and I look for your post everyday!! If I could make one suggestion: It’s about giving us “similar items” – Can you please show something that looks a bit more like what you are wearing? The example in todays blog with the blazer is so totally different. You have on a long version and all you show is a shorter version on Ann Taylor web site, or a linen one on Talbots. I love when you pull something old from your closet – because lets face it, we all don’t either get clothes for free or can afford what you can and we need to “rinse and repeat” But this “similar” item is not really similar to me.

Beth Djalali
      April 11, 2019 at 10:03 am

hi chris! thanks for the input. many times when searching for a similar item if possible i look for the same brand as what i’m wearing. we all know it’s nearly next to impossible to duplicate an item but here’s what i look for when making a decision: similar color, brand, and texture. block heel – block heel, ivory blazer – ivory blazer. to be truthful, i liked the similar item better than the original. i loved the cropped cut. hopt this helps!

karen
        April 12, 2019 at 7:05 am

Chris–if you’re looking for a longer blazer similiar to what Beth is wearing, I’d suggest trying the Banana Republic Long and Lean Blazer…they have an optic white this year

SharonR
    April 11, 2019 at 10:07 am

Spring is slow to arrive in New England but I’ll be ready. Thank you Beth for another great inspiration outfit! I love both stylings and just ordered the sandals!

Beth Djalali
      April 11, 2019 at 11:12 am

let me know how you like the sandals! block heels are so comfy to wear. and who knows? by the time the shoes arrive the weather has changed! xo

Ludmilla Briggs
    April 11, 2019 at 10:53 am

After wearing tailored clothes all my working life when I retired I really had trouble in putting together casual but smart stuff. I found your blog and have been following you for some time. Thank you for helping me find my self esteem again and feeling good. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Beth Djalali
      April 11, 2019 at 11:14 am

nothing makes me happier than to read a comment like this! you are so very welcome ludmilla. one thing i’ve learned is that style has no expiration date. and it’s been proven time and again that when we look good we feel good! go get ’em! xo

R Dawson
    April 11, 2019 at 11:31 am

Very nice look today. Simple and stylish!

Beth Djalali
      April 12, 2019 at 11:13 am

thanks re! always love to hear from you.x o

Becky R
    April 11, 2019 at 4:47 pm

It is so nice to see you in jeans that are not ripped and torn. The ones in todays blog look great on you. I enjoy your blog so much and glean many ideas…thank you for that. I am certainly not a style fuddy-duddy but I don’t think ripped and torn or glitzed up jeans look very good or flattering on anyone over about age 40. Thank you for all of your inspiring ideas!

Beth Djalali
      April 12, 2019 at 11:11 am

everyone has an opinion about distressed jeans that’s for certain. if they aren’t your cup of tea just remember these on trend jeans might be someone else’s. variety is the spice of life. no matter what age. xo

Robyn
    April 11, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Hi Beth,

I agree with Chris in that I was really attracted to the longer length of your ivory blazer and very disappointed in the cropped ‘similar”. Being tallish and long waisted – a crop will never do for me. I think I like you more in the longer lengths too – it is likely just my eye though and you still look sharp in the shorter styles.

Beth Djalali
      April 12, 2019 at 11:12 am

don’t forget, robyn, that i link quite a few options on the widget. there was a longer length blazer from j.crew featured there. hope this helps. xo

Nancy
    April 12, 2019 at 10:20 am

I have had much luck finding items on ebay

Beth Djalali
      April 12, 2019 at 11:14 am

yes, many of my older items can be sourced on eBay. thanks for the reminder. xo

Julie Greenlee
    April 15, 2019 at 3:52 am

Hi, just came across your blog and I’ve very similar tastes, jeans and blazer combo is my go to now, I also wear mine with a classic white adidas trainer. For the ladies who struggle to find longer blazers, here in the UK we have a high street and online shop called NEXT, they have lots of great value classic tailoring and maybe worth a look.