rain, rain, go away. there’s been an abundance of rain in Athens the past few weeks, but we won’t let that sour our friday mood! today we’re bringing you a healthy recipe for the new year: instant pot lemon garlic chicken. and of course, we’ve got a new cocktail that i know you’ll love – winter aperol spritz. oscar is ready for his weekly gig. although if he looks sad in the photos, it’s because he splashed my cocktail on the carpet before we started…. he truly felt bad. kids and dogs. you never know just quite what will happen at any given moment.
ollie decided to show up today, so for all of you cat lovers, you’ll see a glimpse of her. and i’ve thrown together a comfy cozy outfit that’s perfect for a dreary winter day.
faux leather leggings and a chunky knit sweater
a nice alternative to denim is faux leather leggings. they’re comfy and chic. my favorite combo. this pair is from Ann Taylor, and i love how they fit. some leggings reveal a little too much information. but not these. the leggings i’m wearing today are from 2018, but Ann is offering a 2020 version too.
a chunky knit sweater is a must-have winter wardrobe staple. this sweater is from an all-time favorite brand – Talbots. love the side zip on the collar. style tip – size up one size for a truly oversized fit. it won’t look slouchy, just comfy.
as for footwear, i’ve pulled out my favorite loafers from 2019 (sold out, similar here). but if you wanted to add heels or sneakers to this ootd, either would look a-ma-zing.
- 3 ounces Aperol
- 3 ounces Prosecco
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- 2 ounces club soda
- 1 orange wedge
- 1 orange zest twist
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Combine the Aperol, Prosecco and cranberry in a glass with ice. (I combined the Aperol and cranberry juice in a cocktail shaker with ice then poured into the glass) Add in an orange wedge and a twist. Pop in a sprig of rosemary. Perfect winter cocktail.
- This is a fairly large cocktail. I thought it would fit into a coupe glass but had to switch to a tumbler.
a goal of mine for 2020 is to share health and wellness tips with y’all. and fridays with oscar recipes are 95% healthy. yes, every once in a while i have to share a dessert or two… but overall, my diet is focused on nutritious meals that are easy to make. this instant pot lemon garlic chicken is both. love, love, love my Instant Pot, especially come winter. this recipe takes all of thirty minutes to end up on your table.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves , sliced or minced
- 2 - 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- zest of half a lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish if desired
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate.
- Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides.
lots of sides go with chicken – asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli. today, i went with broccoli as it’s nutrient-dense and so good for us. it’s charbroiled in the oven after adding mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary. delicious!
FASTer Way to Fat Loss
speaking of health and wellness tips. have i got a great giveaway to share with you! you all know how much i love the FASTER Way to Fat Loss program. FWTFL changed the game for me and opened my eyes to how important nutrition is. so i teamed up with Amanda Tress and two other bloggers for an Instagram giveaway. to enter for your chance to win a Peloton (i have one! the best piece of exercise equipment ever.) a Nespresso, Lulu Lemon gear, and few other goodies head to my Instagram page. you won’t be sorry! and if you’re interested in kick-starting 2020 with fitness and nutrition goals at the top of your list FASTer Way to Fat Loss is starting another six-week round on Monday, January 6th.
ladies, it is never too late to change your lifestyle. i don’t care if you’re seventy or eighty there are still life lessons to learn. but we have to eat right and strengthen our bodies each and every day if we want to age with strength, grace, and beauty. if we want to look good we have to feel good. mind and body working in tandem.
all right, ladies, that’s a wrap for this friday! oscar, ollie and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.