what to wear to work

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

are you wondering what to wear to work? yes, women of a certain age are still suiting up for the office. just like jackie o who embraced her third act of life as a working woman. jackie will always be remembered as a glamorous first lady. and her controversial marriage to a greek tycoon received constant attention from the press. but at the age of 46 jackie kennedy onassis put her fame behind her and embarked upon a  new career in publishing that lasted until her death at the age of 64. did jackie o need a paycheck? i don’t think so. but i do think she wanted direction in her life. that she wanted to channel her energy and creativity. and remain active. as well as it should be for any woman entering their third act of life. there are so many lessons to learn from a woman like jackie who navigated life on her own terms. from her first act as an inquiring photographer that transitioned to devoted wife and mother who acquired her unwanted claim to fame to her last act as a single woman and associate editor. this was a woman who wanted to live life fully. and she did all while looking fantastic from head to toe. what a remarkable woman!

so for all of us working gals who wonder what to wear to work on a hot summer day have i got an outfit for you. a pair of wide leg pants are the star of the show, and i love the fit of this marina pant from Ann Taylor that comes in seven colors. a sleeveless black blouse with peter pan collar adds subtle sophistication to this nine-to-five ootd. and for those of us who love to add a third layer, i chose a linen blend cardigan with a tailored fit. add strappy suede sandals and this outfit is one for the books.

pants | blouse | sweater | sandals | similar handbag

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

what to wear to work? a simple sleeveless blouse in black will serve you well.

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

what to wear to work? a cropped sweater that hits at the hip adds balance to the outfit. this sweater would look fantastic popped over a dress.

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

cropped wide leg pants give your shoes an opportunity to shine.

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

this linen blend sweater has an open front, 3/4 sleeves and comes in five colors.

pants | blouse | sweater | sandals | similar handbag

what to wear to work wide leg pants, black blouse, and suede sandals

these suede sandals have a 2 1/2 inch heel and lace-up ties.

happy tuesday, gang!

Pam
    June 25, 2019 at 10:30 am

Superb ootd Beth. Question–do you find that your feet swell making it hard for the tied straps? That’s the main reason I don’t wear anything that ties around my ankles.

Lisa Combs
    June 25, 2019 at 10:59 am

What a great, stylish but classic choice! I adore black and white, and your choices all have a bit of flare!

Suzi
    June 25, 2019 at 11:10 am

Love the black and white, so cool and comfortable looking while polished and sophisticated. Great professional outfit.

Mary
    June 25, 2019 at 11:15 am

The jury has been out on these pants, however this pair has won me over. Love them in white with the black top. My aging feet would toss the sandals out after 20 minutes, but they look darling on you. I like the way Ann Taylor shows various options for wearing these pants with different tops, shoes, etc

June 25, 2019 at 11:15 am

That’s a win. Lovely look, Beth. I’m a fan of the wider leg pants here and there–they look great with the slim sleeveless top for balance, and I love the sweater with it, too. Very chic in black and white.

Pinky Lee
    June 25, 2019 at 11:25 am

I love the idea of more posts on what to wear to work! Hope there will be more options to inspire us in the future. I couldn’t get away with this adorable look in my button down legal office, and hope there will also be more formal office wear outfits from you. Thank you for your dedication to looking your best and by example prompting us to follow suit (pun intended). 😉

Chris
    June 25, 2019 at 12:58 pm

GORGEOUS and SO SOPHISTICATED! This OOTD is one for your record books. This is one of my favorites Beth!! AWESOME! Wish I worked in a place where I could wear this. :(. I work in a family owned business where it is very casual and dealing with tradesmen all day.

But I could see it at other functions as well!

I agree with others on the shoes – I don’t know how you do it with your heels. At 61 I need comfort!

LOVE, LOVE, ❤️

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:05 am

i honestly think my feet don’t have any issues since i’ve worn different heel heights from ballet flats to stilettos on any given day. maybe if i’d worn heels day after day things might have been different. knock on wood i can still rock heels!

Linda
    June 25, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Beautiful outfit! My working days are over (three cheers!) and now I reap the benefits golfing, swimming & relaxing. Love the wider leg pant. Bought the Talbots printed pair & they look sharp dressed up. Your outfit easily transitions to a chic, country club dinner.

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:08 am

i’m loving the wider leg pants. it’s a beautiful silhouette and perfect for hot summer days.

R. Dawson
    June 25, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Love the top but the proportion of the pants isn’t for me.

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:02 am

isn’t it fantastic you live in the 21st century with lots of choices?

Janelle
    June 25, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Beth, you look fantastic in black and white anything! However, this looks more like a date night outfit with Mr. Style to me 🙂

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:01 am

this outfit could definitely go from desk to dinner.

Frannie
    June 25, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Really cute outfit. Love the Peter Pan Collar and wide leg pants. I would wear this to work. Only wish I felt comfortable wearing sleeveless tops. My arms could use some serious toning. I would probably keep the sweater on all day.

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:00 am

i always share that arms are easy to tone up with weights. as we age weight training is so important to keep our bodies strong.

Frannie
        June 27, 2019 at 12:42 am

Thank you for the encouragement.

Terry Brady
    June 25, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Love the outfit but dont feel the shoes are safe (open toe) or acceptable in most offices.

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 7:59 am

unless you work in finance or legal most businesses have relaxed the rules as far as ‘what to wear.’

KarenT
    June 25, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Such a striking outfit! Love it!

Beth Djalali
      June 26, 2019 at 8:06 am

thanks so much, karen! you can never go wrong with a classic color paletter.