cheers to friday, gang! we made it through another week. for me, it was by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin as i’ve been sniffling and coughing my way through each day. so when it came to meal prep for fridays with oscar soup won hands down (mr. style has the sniffles too). chicken soup is always good for the soul when you’re under the weather. and i threw out some immune boosting choices like carrot, ginger soup that got a thumbs down from my significant other. but there was unanimous agreement when italian wedding soup was mentioned. so i grabbed my recipe from the archives and got to work. this is a hearty meal with the addition of meatballs. add a salad and crusty bread and you’re set.
there was finally a break in the weather today with the sun and warmer temps making an appearance. the warm weather will be sticking around, but not the sun… anyhoo, a refreshing springlike cocktail sounded good. aperol immediately came to mind so i flipped through the pages of The New Cocktail Hour and found Intro to Aperol. i’m not necessarily a gin drinker but the addition of aperol and the bitters make a mighty fine cocktail. go ahead, try it. i think you will like it.
- 2 ounces Aperol
- 1 ounce London Dry gin
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
- Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled coupe glass. Garnish with an orange peel perched on the rim of the glass.
friday’s outfit is laid-back with a utility shirt from J.Crew and cropped flared jeans (similar here). the suede pumps are from Ann Taylor (similar here) and the belt is one of my favorites from Ralph Lauren (similar here).
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice white bread crusts trimmed, grated or shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan optional
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 8 oz ground pork
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 6-8 oz of Acini de Pepe or other tiny pasta like Orzo
- 2 tbsp parmesan optional
- To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. ( I use a food processor). Then add the cheese, beef, and pork. Shape the meat mixture into meatballs, and place on a baking sheet. I use a small sized scoop for identical sized meatballs, but you can make them any size you want.
- To make the soup: Bring the broth and frozen spinach to a boil in a large pot. Add the meatballs (uncooked) and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure they don't stick. Add the pasta and continue cooking at a low boil until both the pasta and meatballs are cooked (approx 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving, if you wish.
oscar keeps one eye on ollie who just happens to be lounging in the corner out of sight.
italian wedding soup is an easy recipe to whip up. and it makes a big batch so there’s always leftovers.
TGIF! oscar and i wish each of you a lovely weekend.